[Geany-devel] Build system glitches

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Oct 13 22:24:18 UTC 2009

2009/10/14 Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de>:
> Sorry that I just ditch in, I just want to point something out from a user
> pov.

Don't worry, everyone has the right to express their opinion.

>> As soon as there is more than one file in the program, the run command
>> is usually no longer dependent on the file, you usually want to run
>> the main program. You don't want to have to always switch back to the
>> "main" file before selecting run, so the command needs to be able to
>> be set somewhere that is file independent
>>

> I disagree with that. That's what a project/session is for. If there's no
> project open, it should be document-sensitive/filetype-sensitive
> (unfortunately that's not entirely the same).

Then don't set a run command in the preferences, it will still be
filetype sensitive.  Its entirely up to you.

> To me, there's no such thing as a "main file" if I have various random files
> open. I use project if I'm to lazy for switching files and the run command
> is the same.

You should not *have* to use a project, that was a requirement of
Enricos right from the beginning.  Switching files isn't lazyness, its
an annoyance that isn't needed.

> For me a project is a collection of related files. I don't have a bunch of
> open files open and want the same run command for all if I do not have a
> project open.

As above.

>> Well it *should* still "just work" by default, the only problem you've
>> got is that the configure dialog edits 3 not 2 and the more we talk
>> about it the more obvious it is that there is a need to choose which
>> one to edit rather than having it fixed (whichever way we fix it it
>> will always be wrong for someone).
>>
>> The combobox I described above would choose to edit 2 or 3 in the
>> build menu "set build commands" dialog and 4 or 5 in the project
>> dialog "build" tab.
>>

> I don't see a need for a checkbox here. a) use global run command per
> project, or b) filetype specific commands.
>
> I agree with Enrico here. I stumbled on this quite a bit times already.

Then you should have complained and we would have been able to do
something sooner, I can't fix what I don't know is broken :-D

> Something just overrode my html run command (i.e. open in in a browser). I
> needed to change it back for no apparent reason (I had no project open).

Yes, the dialog edits something different to what it used to, whatever
is decided that is likely to be changed.

But it should not only allow one way of working, it may make one group
of people happy, but it makes another group unhappy. Just because you
don't use the particular functionality doesn't mean it isn't needed,
so I have proposed a way of allowing either instead of cutting off
options.