[Geany-devel] Custom Filetypes

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Oct 12 18:11:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 18:59:24 +1100, Lex wrote:

>Hi Nick, Enrico,
>
>I've got a question about how your custom filetype functionality will
>work when its available, specifically if it will do the following:
>
>For the builders WAF and SCONS the config files are actually pieces of
>python so they need to:

Why do they *need* to do the things listed below?
I don't get the point what's this about.

>- detect the custom filetype from the filename (not extension)
>(SConstruct and SConscript for SCONS and wscript for WAF)
>- use python lexers and highlighting

the first point is already being done by reading shebang lines if
available, the second point is done implicitly if the first has
succeeded.

>- load tags for the functions provided by SCONS or WAF so tooltips work

Which? Why?

>- since the config files are not a complete python program they should
>not have python compile and run commands, but at least SCONS could
>have a compile that is "scons --dry_run" and I'm sure WAF has a
>similar option.  This will automatically work with the new build
>system so long as the custom filetype functionality creates a separate
>GeanyFiletype for the custom type and there is a suitable config file.

Are you talking about something like a pendant to the Make commands in
the build system?