[Geany-devel] Build system glitches

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Oct 11 11:49:09 UTC 2009

Hey,

I noticed a few more smaller and bigger problems with the new Build
system:

See attached image build_dialog_py_initial.png:
this is the initial build settings dialog for an opened Python file. So
far it looks fine except the "null" values for two Make commands.

Then I changed the Python Compile and Run commands to use python2.5
instead of just python. Worked fine.

But then, I opened the Build settings dialog for a XML file and for
some reason, it shows me the Python Run command as Run command for the
XML file. And it does this probably for each other filetype as well,
tested also with Shellscript and I got again the Python Run command.
This completely contradicts the original idea of the build system:
being easy to use to compile&run single files.
Not sure whether this is a bug or actually intended behaviour of your
code, but it is not what Geany should do and it is not what Geany did
before! Run commands were and should be filetype-dependent except you
have opened a project and the project has a Run command defined.

Furthermore, the Compile button is disabled in the toolbar. But this
seems to be a separate issue :).

The reported issues happened with latest Geany from SVN, a clean config
(geany -c /tmp/test) and without a project being opened.