[Geany-devel] Default ASCII charset for open files

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Oct 11 10:53:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 17:12:00 +0400, Alexey wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I have recently faced a problem with charset detection in Geany. I
>have a UTF-8 locale on my Ubuntu machine, but my company uses mostly
>Windows, so a majority of text files is in CP1251. My issue is very
>similar to that one: http://lists.uvena.de/geany/2007-June/001152.html
>
>Since then, there is an option to "force" all files open in some
>selected charset (e.g. 1251). IMHO it's not absolutely convenient,
>because it completely ignores all other settings, especially BOM.
>
>My idea is to add a selected charset not as "forced", but as
>"preferred ASCII" (meaning that if file is non-Unicode, then it should
>be opened using "charset"). As many Linux distros are now moving
>towards Unicode as default system locale, that would be a convenient
>and a predictable behaviour.
>
>By default, Geany takes the first (by order) charset for non-Unicode
>files (that's ISO-8859-1). I have created a patch to allow user select
>that ASCII charset. Please take a look at this patch and tell me if
>that is a good idea.

It's an awesome idea!
Thanks a lot, patch applied and committed in SVN r4294.

I left out the part updating po/ru.po because I chose slightly other
description texts in the preferences dialog. I hope Frank will take
care of merging your changes with the existing strings :).

Thanks,