[Geany-devel] Using Geany for VHDL / Verilog

Kelvin Gardiner kelvin at xxxxx
Thu Nov 26 11:03:31 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've fixed the VHDL symbols, two patches are attached for src/symbols.c
and tagmanager/vhdl.c.

The changes are:

Added support of Alias symbol in symbols.c
Renamed / added symbols groups and added icons for displayed groups in
symbols.c
Correct symbol types in vhdl.c

In some cases several symbols are in the same group. For example VHDL
variables, signals and constants are similar to  variables in other
programming languages, so all this types are grouped as variables. I've
done this to avoid introducing VHDL specific symbol types.

I tried creating a tags file for auto-completing functions in standard
IEEE VHDL packages (similar to having gtk tags). I've done this by
adding vhdl.tags in to /usr/share/geany but this doesn't work. I copied
c99.tags to vhdl.tags and that didn't work either so presumably I need
to add something else somewhere to get this working. What do I need to do?

I'd like to create symbols for Verilog as well. If I copy vhdl.c and
change it as needed and modify the symbols.c to pickup Verilog files.
Will these symbols get picked up or do I need to get geany to recognise
Verilog files. Also, how to get geany to do syntax highlighting for Verilog.

Regards,
Kelvin