[Geany-devel] executing .m files with octave by default

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Fri May 29 15:36:43 UTC 2009

On Fri, 29 May 2009 17:38:59 +0300
Amr Hassan <amr.hassan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> Great work on Geany. It's by far my most favorite text editor. A few minutes
> ago with the help of dmaphy on IRC, I was able to make it a bit more awesome
> for me by having it execute .m files on octave the way it does with python.
> All I had to do was add:
>
> [build_settings]
> # %f will be replaced by the complete filename
> # %e will be replaced by the filename without extension
> # (use only one of it at one time)
> compiler=
> run_cmd=octave -q "%f"
>
> to the end of the file ~/.config/geany/filedefs/filetypes.matlab, that would
> execute the script on octave if it's installed. I was wondering if this
> could be added by default.
> Octave is a pretty decent matlab-compatible free tool (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Octave).
>
> So, what do you guys think?

I'd prefer to leave it empty as it is. Octave is even on Linux systems
not always the correct choice and may cause confused users. But this
are just my 2ct ;)

Cheers,
Frank
--