[Geany-devel] executing .m files with octave by default

Amr Hassan amr.hassan at xxxxx
Fri May 29 14:38:59 UTC 2009

Hey guys,

Great work on Geany. It's by far my most favorite text editor. A few minutes
ago with the help of dmaphy on IRC, I was able to make it a bit more awesome
for me by having it execute .m files on octave the way it does with python.
All I had to do was add:

[build_settings]
# %f will be replaced by the complete filename
# %e will be replaced by the filename without extension
# (use only one of it at one time)
compiler=
run_cmd=octave -q "%f"

to the end of the file ~/.config/geany/filedefs/filetypes.matlab, that would
execute the script on octave if it's installed. I was wondering if this
could be added by default.
Octave is a pretty decent matlab-compatible free tool (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Octave).

So, what do you guys think?

-- Amr