[Geany-devel] Build System and Latex

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue May 26 19:23:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, 19 May 2009 20:41:11 +1000, Lex wrote:

Hey,

sorry for the delay :(.

>The first place is the "make in base directory" option is hard coded
>to only be applied to make custom and make all but not make object.
>
>I suggest that:
>
>1. all filetype dependent commands are executed in the file's directory
>(current behavior)
>2. when no project is open, all non-file type dependent commands are
>run in the directory of the current file (current behavior)
>3. when a project is open, each non-file type dependent command has
>its own selection to make in base path or directory of the current
>file.  That way a user can set the behavior to suit the command.  Note
>that this option does not require the command to be defined in the
>project as the option can just as usefully be added to the default
>make commands as to user set specific commands.  The option works in
>the same way as the labels and commands will, ie a project value
>overrides preference value overrides default value.

Yes to 1 and 2, as it is the current behaviour :).
I don't have such a strong opinion on 3). My concern would only be that
things get more complicated by adding a 'execute in base path' option
but OTOH why should we limit the new features again unnecessarily. So,
if you like to, go for it.

>The second piece of hard coded behavior is in the removal of error
>markers from files.  Currently the "compile file" and "make object"
>commands clear errors only for the current file, but all other
>commands including "build file" clear the errors from all the open
>files.  I don't understand why the first two commands only affect the
>current file as, although they compile/build just that file, they can
>still cause errors in other files through includes etc.
>Also the markers that are left in other files no longer have
>corresponding error messages in the compile window since these are
>cleared when the command is run, causing potential confusion as to why
>the error marker is there.
>Unless I have missed an important use-case I propose that all build
>menu commands clear all error markers each time, then there is no
>confusion about what caused the mark.

Yeah, the idea for not clearing the error markers of other files was,
as you mentioned, that Compile/Build and Make Object only affects the
current file. But you are also right, that previous error markers in
other files gets more or less invalid after a new build command is
executed, so I'd agree to clear them all unconditionally for every
build command.