[Geany-devel] Build System Recent Commit

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue May 5 02:00:46 UTC 2009

> >Just for my understanding, why?
>
> Glade 2.x produces deprecated code (in terms of deprecated GLib/GTK
> function calls) but this is not yet a real issue since we also only
> depend on GTK 2.8 but it might get interesting when we upgrade minimum
> required GTK version later.

oh :-(

> Another reason is sometimes it's messy to modify/customize the
> generated widgets or use own classes (not that important on Geany as we
> don't have much own widget classes but still).

And I'm finding that it is difficult to exploit the repetitiveness within
the dialog and the commonality between projects and build dialogs.  Although
cut & paste can generate the code reasonably efficiently you then need to
hand edit it and when fixing bugs you have to repeat it lots of time ...
oops I missed one ;-)   This in fact is pushing me towards do it yourself.
If I go that way where do you suggest that functions common to build.c and
project.c should go, I don't really want to add another file??
And you can't set user_data for callbacks unless you specify something in
the object field and then glade uses the connect_swapped so it comes into
the callback as the widget not the user_data, messy.

> Yet another reason is to modify the generated code, you need to
> regenerate it, so you need again Glade, obviously.
>
> This are all not that strong reasons and using Glade isn't anything bad
> at all. I just wanted to mention most often it's just easier or not
> more complicated to write the GUI manually. But this heavily depends on
> the person who writes it and this person's experience with GTK, haha.
>
> To summarise it, just use Glade if you like but there is less need to
> glade-ify existing code.

Ok.

> Some time in the future when we can use GTK 2.12 we can/will use
> GtkBuilder whose XML files can be created with Glade 3 and are read
> directly by GTK, so we don't need libglade or generated code (and
> there is a conversion tool for glade XML files to GtkBuilder XML files).
> But this doesn't matter much for now because we require GTK 2.8 (as
> said before).

Yeah, as I understand it this is the way to go.  Glade 3.6 supports builder
xml directly, no converter needed.