[Geany-devel] Build System Recent Commit

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon May 4 18:06:34 UTC 2009

On Mon, 4 May 2009 10:55:30 +1000, Lex wrote:

>2009/5/4 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>
>
>> On Sun, 3 May 2009 20:08:47 +1000, Lex wrote:
>>
>> >Hi Guys,
>> >
>> >In the project properties dialog, project tab, I was looking at
>> >removing the run command since it is in the new build tab with all
>> >the other build menu commands.  I found that the project tab is
>> >built with manual code instead of with Glade.  Is there any reason
>> >for this that
>>
>> The reason was mainly this dialog is that simple that it was easier
>> to write manually than using Glade.
>>

>> >I am assuming that the general intent is to do new work in Glade
>> >unless specially required to be code (for example flexible dialogs)?
>>
>> It's rather the opposite.
>

>Just for my understanding, why?

Glade 2.x produces deprecated code (in terms of deprecated GLib/GTK
function calls) but this is not yet a real issue since we also only
depend on GTK 2.8 but it might get interesting when we upgrade minimum
required GTK version later.
Another reason is sometimes it's messy to modify/customize the
generated widgets or use own classes (not that important on Geany as we
don't have much own widget classes but still).
Yet another reason is to modify the generated code, you need to
regenerate it, so you need again Glade, obviously.

This are all not that strong reasons and using Glade isn't anything bad
at all. I just wanted to mention most often it's just easier or not
more complicated to write the GUI manually. But this heavily depends on
the person who writes it and this person's experience with GTK, haha.

To summarise it, just use Glade if you like but there is less need to
glade-ify existing code.

Some time in the future when we can use GTK 2.12 we can/will use
GtkBuilder whose XML files can be created with Glade 3 and are read
directly by GTK, so we don't need libglade or generated code (and
there is a conversion tool for glade XML files to GtkBuilder XML files).
But this doesn't matter much for now because we require GTK 2.8 (as
said before).