[Geany-devel] Updating build-system branch

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Mar 24 18:23:15 UTC 2009

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 13:17:14 +0000, Nick wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 09:45:40 +0100
>Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:
>
>> > Compiles, runs but is not extensively tested (Geany needs a
>> > regression suite, and if you find a usable GUI tester let me know
>> > I am looking for one ;-)
>>
>> Feel free to build one ;)
>> In fact we already thought about it, but it's still in a very early
>> stage.
>
>Did we? Personally I don't know anything about GUI regression testing.
>Or does it just mean unit tests? Anyway not sure how they'd work...

No, we did not.
Frank thought about it (just unit tests AFAIK), told me it would be cool
to have, I agreed but nothing more.

So, what Frank wanted to say should have been: yes, a good idea.
:)

That being said, having unit tests definitely would be cool but in any
way, it needs someone to write the tests and the framework around.

Regarding automated GUI tests, there are frameworks around to make this
possible/easier. One of those is http://ldtp.freedesktop.org/wiki/ and
there is at least one other one which name I forgot :).
But this probably requires even more work than 'just' unit tests.