[Geany-devel] Plugin for haxe-completion

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Jun 28 09:07:49 UTC 2009

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 17:01:40 +0200, Andreas wrote:

Hey Mockey,

>I started to write a plugin for auto-completion of haxe-code. The

Cool.

>Now I have a couple of questions:
>- Would it make sense to add it to the geany-plugins repository
>  (because it's very language-specific)?

Why not. If users don't want it because they don't use Haxe, they don't
have to compile/install it.
And still you can choose whether you want to have it as part of the
geany-plugins project with its advantages like no need to maintain an
own build system and getting translations and releases for free (i.e.
you don't need to manage it yourself) or by just hosting your plugin at
the "geany-plugins" Sourceforge project while maintaining it on your
own, with own build system and such.
It's completely up to you.

>- I'm not sure what kind of build-system to use now. ATM I simply added
>  my plugin to wscript and use waf. Is waf deprecated now with the new
>  merged plugin-build-system? Is a makefile or a autogen.sh script
>  better?

Waf is by no means deprecated, on the contrary, now we can very easily
build the plugins even on Windows, thanks to the Waf build system we
are using.
More generally about the build systems for plugins:
we recently merged some existing plugins into a common geany-plugins
project which mainly means that all the merged plugins now use one
common build system (actually, we use Waf and autotools in parallel,
i.e. the user can choose which one to use) but the plugins don't have
an own build system anymore. Reasons and advantages of this approach
can be found in the list archives (happened in the last two weeks).
So, neither Waf nor autotools are deprecated at all, we just moved some
plugins and changed their organisation a bit.

>- The plugin depends on editor-notify of PluginCallback. Is it OK to
>  add that signal globally (will be called for all documents then,
>  right?) and then check for haxe-files or would it be better to add
>  that signal only when a haxe-file is active?

Just add it globally, this is how it is intended to be used. In the
handler simply add a prominent check like this:

	if (editor->document->file_type != GEANY_FILETYPES_HAXE)
		return FALSE;

This should be ok.

>- I saw a property "type" in the GeanyProjects-struct that seems to
>  mean that projects can be extended by plugins. Is there some
>  documentation for this? It would be really nice to be able to add

No, not really.
AFAIK the only plugin which makes use of this is the geanyprj plugin.
Maybe having a look at its sources gives some insight.