[Geany-devel] Python plugin API

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Jun 11 15:23:27 UTC 2009

Hi,
Sounds interesting.

BTW I don't know anything much about language bindings other than C,
just thought I'd ask:

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:00:11 -0400
Mars <mfogels at gmail.com> wrote:

> Of course, the plugin API has changed in 0.17, but this wrapper is so
> slim at the moment that any updates should be trivial.  I considered
> automatic code generation, but left that for a later pass (geany-lua
> does code generation using hand-coded interface files and some code

Does it? I assumed it was all hand-coded.

> extraction, and the Gedit Python bindings are entirely generated)  The
> new Geany plugin interface definition files should make writing

Not sure what you mean here - are these files you've made?

> language plugins *much* easier than before.  Combine that with the
> Scintilla IDL files and you are flying.
>
> BTW, there is one big problem with the Geany plugin API as of 0.16:
> Plugins (like Python bindings) can't register other plugins - put
> another way, a there is no plugin registration API published via the
> plugin API.  With the geany plugin registration API being wrapped in
> Python, I could easily write pure-Python Geany plugins.  Lacking that,
> I had to come up with my own Python plugin registration.

Let us know if you have ideas on how to modify Geany's src/plugins.c,
I'm having trouble imagining how it should be done. But don't start
working on anything until it's discussed first.

Regards,
Nick