[Geany-devel] Merging of Geany Plugins

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Jun 3 14:15:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 19:16:29 +0200
Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz at student.HTW-Berlin.de> wrote:

> > I doubt a big release is nor useful nor feasible in the long run for a
> > growing number of *independent* plugins. That way you need to
> > re-release all plugins if a critical bug was fixed in one, or you wait
> > for the release of 1 plugin to get the whole package released.

I don't think it's necessary to wait for a release of a single plugin.
Generally plugin releases are already linked to some extent to a Geany
release.

> (Pressed Enter too early :( )
>
> I actually think packages each separately, but combine them into such a
> meta or virtual package (whatever that is called) which is nothing but
> dependent on all plugins. That way the plugins keep independent but you
> can still get all plugins in one run.

Sounds interesting, but a combined release would be very useful for
anyone building from source, plus it gives packagers more freedom - it
seems to me that packaging all plugins together would be easier for the
packager. Actually a combined release would probably be easier to
split the separate plugins from even if doing separate packages.

Not to criticise your idea, just wanted to point out that a combined
release is a very useful thing. Also it wouldn't be compulsory for
plugin authors ;-)

Regards,
Nick