[Geany-devel] Merging of Geany Plugins

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Jun 2 16:32:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 00:07:48 +0800, Chow wrote:

>> >       * There must be a build system capable of building the
>> > plugins together as well as separately.
>>
>> Does it have to be the same system for both? We have a Waf system for
>> building all plugins, and IIRC it installs translations for each
>> plugin that has them. (Most plugins also have autotools for building
>> individually.)
>Personally, from a packager's point of view, I prefer autotools, and if
>nobody else beats me to it, I will submit a patch that will change

I still don't see the need for it. We already have a working build
system to build all plugins at once (Waf). So why fiddling with just
another one which may introduce new bugs, new problems and of course,
more work.

>modify each plugins' build systems slightly (read: m4 macros,

See above, why touching the plugins when we already have everything
working :(.

>conditional inclusion of the po directory), as well as hook up the
>build system to the toplevel directory.

Hmm, too bad. Frank was working on that on the weekend and he said he
got a script working to be used with Waf which merges the plugins'
gettext message catalogues into a big global catalogue and vice versa.
So, basically it's done, unfortunately he didn't announce it yet so you
were probably doing the same thing at the same time.

I'd strongly suggest to talk about and maybe merge your efforts before
doing any further coding on this to avoid even more duplicate work!