[Geany-devel] Merging of Geany Plugins

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Jun 2 14:08:59 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 15:56:56 +0800
Chow Loong Jin <hyperair at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've recently begun packaging the whole set of Geany plugins for Ubuntu
> (and will be working on it for Debian soon), and Enrico Tröger has

Cool.

> mentioned before that he'd like to see the whole set of plugins packaged
> as one instead of separately, as it is currently. I, too, think it's a
> good idea to do something like that. However, for that to be done, I'll
> need the whole geany-plugins tarball released together at once. This has

I'd really like to see a geany-plugins release, it would be much
easier for normal users (and perhaps easier for any plugin maintainers
that don't want a separate release as well).

> several implications:
>       * Synchronizing the plugins' releases.

geany-plugins SVN trunk is just a place for devs to use, but if someone
wanted to be maintainer for a geany-plugins release, perhaps it could
go like this:

1. geany-plugins maintainer creates release branch & contacts
devs/mailing list
2. Any devs who want their plugin in the release copy/merge their code
3. g-p maintainer makes release X days/weeks after branching

I for one would be happy to merge the GeanyLua plugin.

But this of course requires someone who wants to maintain the
geany-plugins release process (any volunteers?) ;-)

>       * There must be a build system capable of building the plugins
>         together as well as separately.

Does it have to be the same system for both? We have a Waf system for
building all plugins, and IIRC it installs translations for each plugin
that has them. (Most plugins also have autotools for building
individually.)

Regards,
Nick