[Geany-devel] Super modifier in keybindings - Re: Strange Geany behavior

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Jul 30 13:32:32 UTC 2009

2009/7/30 Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com>:
> On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 20:05:01 +1000
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a really strange problem with Geany.
>>
>>  Using Geany 0.17 standard install on open suse 11.0, logged in as a
>> different user to where I was developing Geany so there is no leakage
>> from development versions.
>>
>> When typing 's' the save as dialog pops up??  I have a keybinding
>> <super>s for save as but undefining it didn't fix the problem but it
>> did let me check that <super> isn't stuck on.  It seems to depend on
>> Geany a <super> keybinding existing when Geany is opened.
>>
>> I can turn the problem on and off by closing Geany with the <super>s
>> keybinding defined and next time I open Geany typing s invokes the
>> keybinding.
>> If I undefine the keybinding and close and re-open the problem has gone away.
>> Its like the <super> is permanently defined so when there is a
>> keybinding using it then typing just the character s is interpreted as
>> <super>s.
>> I tried defining several <super><character> keys and all of them react
>> the same way, when first defining the keybinding all is well, but on
>> closing and re-opening Geany the strange behavior starts.  Removing
>> the keybinding does not fix the problem until Geany is closed and
>> re-started.  So the problem may be in the load of keybindings.
>> ~/.config/geany/keybindings.conf contains the <Super>s as expected.
>
> I'm not clear, does pressing a <Super>s keybinding actually work at
> first (and s works normally)?

Yes until Geany is closed and re-opened.
I have had time to stick a couple of printfs in to see what was saved
and read from the keybindings file, kb->key=115 kb->mods=0x4000000
written and read and are correct. But  I can't see where the
accelerators are added after the dialog is finished to see if it is
different to keybindings.c/apply_kb_accel

What is the exact string shown in the
> keybinding prefs treeview?

<Super>s  that is, it actually includes the <> characters and the same
in keybindings.conf

Super by itself shows Super_L with no <> which is correct iaw GDK_ksysyms.h

> On my system I just found I can't even set a <Super>s binding, the
> dialog just picks up 's'. It understands the Super key on its own, but
> not as a modifier. (I have GTK 2.12.5, Xfce 4.4).

Mine is GTK 2.12.9 Gnome 2.22.1 x86_64 platform.

> I had a look at kb_keytype_dialog_response_cb(), perhaps it's a GDK bug?

Maybe, see how & what the prefs dialog is setting it to first since at
least the kb structure is being set correctly.