[Geany-devel] Calltip and autocomplete interaction

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Jul 25 06:16:57 UTC 2009

Hey enrico,

2009/7/25 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
> On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 21:42:03 +1000, Lex wrote:
>
> Hey,

>>> You know you can re-configure the keybinding for showing calltips :)
>>>

>>Yeah, but running out of keycodes, too many functions in Geany ;-)
>>anyway don't need to now :-)
>
> We definitely need keyboards with way more than 105 keys, basic design
> failure :).

Or we could use multi-character sequences starting with Ctrl-C or
Ctrl-x or Meta or ... arrrrrrggghhh Emacs!!! ;-)
Or we could use Asian keyboards with many hundreds of pictogram keys.

>>> You mean Enter/Tab to accept an item and Escape to cancel an
>>> auto-completion list?
>>>

>>Yeah, I could see where the snippets section talks about its
>>autocomplete, but not symbol autocomplete.
>>In fact the only mention of symbol autocomplete, besides in the list
>>of features on page 1, seems to be buried in the tags section and
>>nothing about how its UI works.
>>And I only found that reference by searching the document for "auto"
>>when I was trying to check that I understood how it should work before
>>I reported the bug.
>
> Indeed.
> Maybe we should add some information about this.
> What is worth to be mentioned?
>
> - the configurable keybinding to trigger an auto-completion list
> (Ctrl-Space) or by typing more than 4 characters (also configurable)
> - hiding the list with Escape or with any non-matching character
> - selecting an item with Space/Tab/Mouse click
> - special auto-completion when using Ctrl-Space which contains not only
> known symbols, but also all matching words of the current document, if
> enabled
> - special '.' / '->' auto-completions

I didn't know about this, so not in patch, hows it work?

> - what else?
>

> If anyone of you is bored enough, a patch with some text would be
> cool :).

Attached, a first go at it anyway.

We both may live to regret this offer but here goes anyway...
One of my previous jobs was a very picky technical reviewer and I am
willing to give the manual a "wash and brush up".  The upside of this
is that I will make all the small fixes, the downside is that I will
suggest any major items to you, although of course you can always
ignore the suggestions :-)

Are you game?