[Geany-devel] Reflow paragraph? - Re: Support SCI_LINESJOIN and SCI_LINESSPLIT (patch included)

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Jul 21 11:35:45 UTC 2009

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply.

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:31:04 +0400
Eugene Arshinov <earshinov at gmail.com> wrote:

> I discovered that Geany doesn't provide key bindings for the
> abovementioned scintilla commands.  I think they are very useful while
> editing text, or HTML, or other markup, especially when you don't like
> when your text exceeds 80 char boundary (like me).  With these
> shortcuts, you no longer need to manually reformat your text after you
> make a slight change in it

I had a look at the patch code, looks good. I use the
'Edit->Format->Send selection to' command with the *nix 'fmt' program,
but the code in your patch looks like it would be better as it handles
indents too.

Personally I'm not sure that separate Join and Split commands are
necessary, but I could be wrong. Could you give a use case as to why
it's better to have two commands instead of one 'Reflow paragraph /
selected lines' command (called 'Fill paragraph' in NEdit)?

If one command would be sufficient, I could use the patch code to make
it. This would be a lot better than using 'fmt' as I wouldn't have to
make a selection first.

So I think a 'Reflow paragraph' command would be OK in the core; does
this sound OK Enrico?

Regards,
Nick

P.S. This is also related to the Line Breaking command, but even if we
improved that, a separate 'Reflow paragraph' command would still
be useful IMO.