[Geany-devel] geany-plugins-0.17 released

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Jul 17 05:11:58 UTC 2009

Hi,

2009/7/17 Chow Loong Jin <hyperair at gmail.com>:
> On Friday 17,July,2009 09:06 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>> Hi Chow,
>>
>> I have reported this previously (see [geany-plugins-Bugs-2783412])
>> when Enrico and I decided that we didn't know enough autotools to fix
>> it quickly, but now that your expertise is available maybe you can fix
>> it.
>>
>> Basically the plugins cannot be used with a version of geany that is
>> installed in any directory other than the standard, if there is also a
>> version installed in the standard location.  ie geany configured with
>> --prefix=somewhere is fine but geany-plugins configured with
>> --prefix=somewhere still goes to /usr/lib and /usr/include instead of
>> somewhere/lib & somewhere/include.
> I don't think geany-plugins has any include files does it?

I mean the geany .h files that define the plugin interface and which
geany plugins includes when it builds.  They are in
${prefix}/include/geany  Also needs to link with libraries in
${prefix}/lib/geany

Or are you
> talking about geany? Either way, geany-plugins installs its own files
> into the prefix given by --prefix, but installs the actual plugins into
> the Geany plugins directory (Geany's prefix/lib) given by pkg-config.
> The reason this is done is because Geany wouldn't be able to find the
> plugin to load otherwise.

Sure but a Geany built by configure --prefix xxx; make install will
not leave a pkg-config trail AFAIK, and if it did it would then hide
the system installed version.

Update to this, it leaves it in ${prefix}/lib/pkgconfig so maybe what
needs to be done is to point pkg-config at that somehow.  Example
attached which shows the right symbol values from the Geany make.  The
plugins just need to use the same.

>> This means that new versions can't be tested while there is still a
>> system installed version.
>>
>> Essentially the plugins builder should respect --prefix if present
>> otherwise use pkg-config to find the installed version.

> How about a --with-geany-pluginsdir=PATH argument instead? I think
> --prefix serves a rather different purpose.

Maybe an option needs to point at the pkg-config & then all the
symbols can come from there.