[Geany-devel] Error message parsing operation questions/suggestions

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Jul 16 22:12:58 UTC 2009

2009/7/17 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>

> On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 15:20:50 +1000, Lex wrote:
>
> >Hi Enrico/Neil,
>
> s/Neil/Nick/
> I guess :).
>

> >The error message parsing currently appears to work by using the
> >filetype to select the error regex or by selecting what the old parser
> >looks for.  This is reasonable since the error message format actually
> >depends on the compiler and the closest concept in Geany is the
> >language.
> >
> >I was playing with error regexes prior to implementing the build-system
> >dialog fields for them.
> >But when I accidently left a text file open and ran 'make', my shiny
> >new C compiler regex wasn't used, since the non-filetype commands
> >still get their regexes from the filetype.
> >
> >Should I add a regex for non-filetype commands as well?  Then
> >msgwin_parse_compiler_error_line can look at the command group in
> >build_info and decide which regex to use.
> >
> >Well actually two regexes, one in project one in preferences and no
> >default.
>
> Not really sure at all.
> It seems the build settings dialog already has two regexps fields, so
> is this question obsolete already?

Sort of, by the time I'd worked out how hard it would be I had basically
done it, so....there it is.

It actually came in useful on another of my projects using a text processor
with non-standard error messages since I could run the builder to compile
both C++ code and the documentation and parse both sets of messages, the
text processor in the regex and C++ falling through to Geany :-)