[Geany-devel] ANN: Configurable Build Menu Alpha in SVN

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Jul 16 16:20:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 18:17:10 +0200, Enrico wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:55:20 +0200, Frank wrote:
>
>>Am Montag, den 13.07.2009, 22:34 +1000 schrieb Lex Trotman:
>>>
>>>         Alright, I did a svn up in the branch, at it's still at
>>> r3952. And my patch is against that revision.
>>>         Could it be local changes on your side?
>>>
>>> Most probably, as I said its still under active development, but at
>>> the moment I have a persistent crash so I don't want to commit a
>>> more broken program than is already there :-(
>>
>>Don't be afraid to do some more commits. Also I had good experience
>>developing using a local git branch so I keep track on my changes as
>>well as I can patch/merge patches coming in.
>
>In case of the build-system branch, using a local git repository
>doesn't make sense. The idea of the branch is to constantly work on
>this code with all the advantages of a source code management system
>like SVN (even though some of you don't like it) and especially having
>the history. When using a local git repo and then commit one big chunk
>of changes, the whole idea of the branch is destroyed.

I forgot to mention, committing such big chunks makes it also way
more complicate to review the changes which we need to do at some
point. And reviewing a super big maybe 100K or more patch is awful. So,
small and logical structured commits would help us all most, I think.