[Geany-devel] ANN: Configurable Build Menu Alpha in SVN

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Jul 12 03:33:03 UTC 2009

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for looking at it and working on improvements already.

(below copied from your previous email so I can reply to both at once)

> Great work! That's a thing I'm really missing for Geany.

> I'm digging in a bit. The dialog looks good already, but I think it lacks
a important field:
> Working directory for the command.

To run a command in a specific directory just make the command field "cd
<the directory>; <the rest of the command>"

That seems to be what your code is trying to do through a field for the
directory, if I have misunderstood please explain.

If that is the case then I don't feel there is a need for another field in
the dialog or any express support in the code, anyway for now my concern is
getting the basic functionality working reliably and getting it used.

> It should be obvious, that for many projects, the source files are
structured,
> so that having the working dir default to the dir where the source file is
located doesn't work.
> And the base directory of a project also doesn't always work.

True, this is just replicating the current way Geany performs so that it can
load old config files.

> I'm looking at the code in the hope I can add it. It's a bit hard for me
to read the code,
> it lacks comments and structure here and there, but I hope I'll find my
way.

Yeah, thats the way of code thats evolved  from an experiment through
several iterations (15 according to my local version control)  I intend to
improve things when its all working.
_

2009/7/12 Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de>

> Thomas Martitz schrieb:
>

>> I'm looking at the code in the hope I can add it. It's a bit hard for me
>> to read the code, it lacks comments and structure here and there, but I hope
>> I'll find my way.
>>

> Alright, I've got to the point where I can add it.
>
> BUT I needed to rewrite much parts (such as doing separate (even if it's
> the same) handling of GeanyBuildCommand.label and .command in a loop
> instead). The code duplication and hardcodedness was so irritating that I
> couldn't get it to work without.

I don't understand why it needs to be a loop like that, just add another
field to GeanyBuildCommand and use it where you need to.  Much easier to
understand for simple folk like me ;-)  Then all other places addressing
label and command don't need to change.

> I attached the patch. In case it's accepted, I can continue to work in
> really integrating the working dir field (I didn't add it yet). Adding the
> working dir entry field is mostly adding a item to the enum
> GeanyBuildCmdEntries now.

I tried to apply your patch to my working copy but 25 out of 27 chunks were
rejected, thats the problem with patches on a rapidly changing source.  So
the patch can't be used directly, and for now I can't spare the time to work
out the problems since there are still important bits of functionality to
fix/add, but if the method of setting directory suggested above isn't
sufficient let me know.