[Geany-devel] question about templates

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Jul 9 15:32:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 17:19:05 +0200, Andreas wrote:

>> I will fix this unless you want to provide a patch?
>
>Well, a patch for changing a "2" into a "3" is not really necessary.

Ok, committed.

>> Well, the manual describes it basically:
>> http://geany.org/manual/#generating-a-global-tags-file
>> In theory, it should work for Haxe files as well. The generation is
>> based on the symbol parser, so it will be as good as the files you
>> pass in when generating the tags file and as good as the Haxe symbol
>> parser works :). Give it a try and ask if anything is not clear.
>
>OK. I'll try it on some haxe files. The symbol parser works generally
>pretty good.
>I understand that you get autocompletion lists from these tag files.
>But I don't understand how you get the different highlighting, like
>for gint, gchar and so on.

Well, gint, gchar and such are C typedefs, defined in the GLib header
files. These are parsed by Geany when generating the tags file and then
written into the tags file with the appropriate tag type. Geany then
reads these tags (symbols_load_global_tags() in symbols.c) and notice
that 'gint' is a type and adds it to the keyword list 1 of the Scintilla
lexer (update_type_keywords in document.c).
I hope this makes it a bit clearer. It's not completely trivial how
this is handled but I guess after reading a bit of the code you should
get a rough picture of how it is done.
If not, just ask.