[Geany-devel] Branching im geany-plugins SVN

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Jan 30 19:10:19 UTC 2009

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 18:23:02 +0100, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de>
wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>As you might have seen, last week I created a branch for redesigning of
>GeanyVC's menu structure. For creating this, I branched the geanyvc
>subfolder from trunk. This was ok IMHO for this topic but made me
>thinking about how a branch could look like in future. I had a couple
>of ideas and like to start some kind of poll about this topic ;)
>
>1.) Always branch complete trunk with all plugins so e.g. waf is still
>working. This would make some things more easier e.g. handling with git
>svn, but would force somebody who did a svn co on the branch to waste
>space on the hard drive
>
>2.) Creating a folder structure similar to the tags section and then
>putting the branch into the right folder:
>
>|-- branches
>|   |-- backupcopy
>|   |-- filetree
>|   |-- geany-mini-script
>|   |-- geanydbg
>|   |-- geanydebug
>|   |-- geanydoc
>|   |-- geanylatex
>|   |-- geanyprj
>|   |-- geanysendmail
>|   |-- geanyvc
>|   |-- instantsave
>|   `-- spellcheck
>|-- tags
>|   |-- backupcopy
>|   |-- filetree
>|   |-- geany-mini-script
>|   |-- geanydbg
>|   |-- geanydebug
>|   |-- geanydoc
>|   |-- geanylatex
>|   |-- geanyprj
>|   |-- geanysendmail
>|   |-- geanyvc
>|   |-- instantsave
>|   `-- spellcheck
>`-- trunk
>
>3.) Branching as needed analog to GeanyVC_menu_redesign, were only
>code is included, that is really needed for the branch.
>
>I'd prefer suggestion 1, but I really like to know your opinion. ;)

When we created the geany-plugins project, we already talked about the
layout and we decided to use the common branches/tags/trunk layout and
every plugin uses a subdirectory inside these directories.

So, suggestion 2 comes close to it.
Even the current geanyvc branch doesn't follow this convention. It
should be:
|-- branches
|   |-- geanyvc
|   |   |-- GeanyVC_menu_redesign

And I don't see any need to change this convention as we already talked
about it and decided that we want it.

So, I'd like you to use it for further branches you create.

Especially your suggestion 1) would be a huge waste of resources and
doesn't help anyone at all, IMHO.