[Geany-devel] RFC: Plugin installation path for documentation

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Jan 27 17:33:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 21:25:43 +0100
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> (currently the geanylua plugin installs documentation in
> $prefix/share/doc/geany/ which is even worse, plugins should not
> install anything into Geany's doc or datadir)
>

> So, my suggestion would be to make a recommendation for plugin authors
> to install documentation files into
> $prefix/share/doc/geany-plugins/${pluginname}

I think this is best for any plugins hosted in the geany-plugins
project.

Any plugins outside of it or any plugins that want to be independent
should IMO call their plugin geany-some-plugin (unix-name), installing
to $prefix/share/doc/geany-some-plugin. Alternatively geanysomeplugin,
but the hyphen-separated one seems to fit better with distro package
names IME.

Probably the same should be true for any plugin data files (without
the doc subdirectory).

Regards,
Nick