[Geany-devel] RFC: Plugin installation path for documentation

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Jan 26 20:25:43 UTC 2009

Hey,

I just thought about how external plugins could/should install their
documentation files[1], if any.

The usual location would be $prefix/share/doc/pluginname but I think
with multiple plugins installed, this could clutter up the doc
directory a little bit. At least when the plugins are installed in a
global default prefix like /usr. Then users end up with something like

/usr/share/doc/externdbg
/usr/share/doc/geanylatex
/usr/share/doc/geanyvc
/usr/share/doc/spellcheck

Especially for plugins which are not prefixed by 'geany' (which is by
no means necessary IMO) this could be ugly, especially when plugins are
packaged by distributions.
(currently the geanylua plugin installs documentation in
$prefix/share/doc/geany/ which is even worse, plugins should not
install anything into Geany's doc or datadir)

So, my suggestion would be to make a recommendation for plugin authors
to install documentation files into
$prefix/share/doc/geany-plugins/${pluginname}

example:
/usr/share/doc/geany-plugins/externdbg
/usr/share/doc/geany-plugins/geanylatex
/usr/share/doc/geany-plugins/geanyvc
/usr/share/doc/geany-plugins/spellcheck

This way, the global doc dir won't be cluttered so much and plugin
documentation files will be installed together in a common directory.

What do you think?

[1] Documentation files mean not only some kind of user documentation
but also the usual README, AUTHORS, COPYING, ... files.