[Geany-devel] multiple error message slowness - Re: Update to build support

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Jan 26 19:52:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:09:48 +0000, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 09:53:02 +0100
>Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>
>> I think the snowiness comes more from adding the error message string
>> to the compiler messages window.
>
>Hmm, why? It's pretty fast for Find in Files with a lot of results.

Just a guess. Given that the bottleneck is parsing the received string
using C string functions or adding to the treeview, I think adding to
the treeview takes more time, we add a new item to the model, then by
adding it the tree view gets notified about the model change and it
updates itself and repaints. I just guess this takes a little more time
than a little string handling. But again, it's just a guess and maybe
the bottleneck is something completely else.

>I assumed it might be parsing the setting indicators for each build
>error. Or the build parsing, not sure. If the first, we could stop
>highlighting errors after the first 50 or so.

Ah, yeah. That(build error indicators) is more probable to be the cause
for the slowness. However, I don't think there is much need to limit
this, if users are bothered by this, they can simply disable the
highlighting in the prefs dialog.