[Geany-devel] Cleanup in the VC menu

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Jan 21 16:38:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:52:52 +0100, Thomas Martitz
<thomas.martitz at fhtw-berlin.de> wrote:

>Yura Siamashka schrieb:
>>
>> I think submenu is not very good idea for geanyvc. Menu list is not
>> very long, and adding submenu just hinder access.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Yura Siamshka
>>
>I don't think it hinders access. If you use the mouse, then you

After using your patch a little bit, I must agree with Yura, the new
submenus are more in the way than they help.
Yes, they clear up the menu but also make it harder to reach the
items.

I have two suggestions, most preferred one first (:D) :
a) create the whole menu with GtkAction's and then put a XML file with
the layout in the user's config directory. This way, the users can
reorder the menu as they like and all will be happy. Bonus of this
method is that creating and maintaining menu items is very easy and
flexible.
b) do a mix of submenus and toplevel menu items:
commonly used menu items like 'diff from current file', 'diff from base
dir', 'revert', 'commit' should go into the top level menu, others like
'blame', 'add', 'remove', 'log' could go into one or more submenus.

Just my 2cents.