[Geany-devel] Does Geany have matching highlighting?

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Jan 6 18:57:10 UTC 2009

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 13:39:13 -0500, Robert Hawkins
<rhawkins at factset.com> wrote:

Hi,

>Notepad++ has a cool feature where if you highlight one word, that
>word is dimly highlighted in other places it occurs.  I find this
>helpful when I change a variable or function name that is used a bunch
>of times in my code.  Or to just quickly visualize where words are
>repeated in a text file.  Here's an example of what I am talking about:
>
>http://i42.tinypic.com/fe2z4l.jpg

There are actually two ways to get something similar:

a) select a word and from the editor popup menu choose 'Find Usage' (for
all *open* files) or 'Find Document Usage' to find the selected word
only in the current document. Note that you don't have to necessarily
select the word, right-clicking on word should suffice.
Any results are listed in the messages window at the bottom and can b
e clicked to jump to the file/position where they occur. Though the
results are not highlighted.

b) select the word, open the normal Find dialog (Ctrl-F), click on
'Find All' and choose 'Mark'. This will highlight the results.