[Geany-devel] "Auto-close quotes and brackets" - addition request

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Feb 4 19:22:54 UTC 2009

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 05:14:42 +0100 (CET), ioguix at free.fr wrote:

>> what do you think about further developing of this feature in a
>> branch or a plugin? I currently don't have time and energy for the
>> patch-review-commit cycle.
>> So, in a branch you could constantly improve it further when you have
>> time and motivation.
>> Or, maybe better, in a plugin which probably would result in more
>> user feedback as it is more likely to be used as in a separate
>> branch. I could create a quick plugin skeleton if you are interested.
>>
>> I think this way development could be faster and we can later merge
>> it into Geany again or just keep it as a plugin.
>
>Thanks for this proposal and sorry for my long non-answer...
>
>Plugins sounds like a better way, as yuo say, a seperate branch would
>have very few users...
>
>However, ISTM the biggest issue to this patch presently is to detect
>keystroke like delete/backspace and when moving the cursor in the
>document...Do you think I could get this kind of information from a
>plugin ?

Yes, with the rather new "editor-notify" signal you have access to
these information.
See http://www.geany.org/manual/reference/signals.html, at the bottom
"editor-notify" is described. A basic example implementation is shown
in plugins/demoplugin.c.

If you want to create a plugin for this, think about adding it to the
"geany-plugins" project, details at
http://www.geany.org/manual/reference/guidelines.html.