[Geany-devel] Changing from scintilla to gtksourceview or scintilla over gtksourceview

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Dec 29 23:26:33 UTC 2009

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 21:12:36 +0100, Thomas wrote:

>Am 29.12.2009 19:55, schrieb Enrico Tröger:
>> An interesting question could be which engine is faster but this is
>> probably hard to test and maybe not even worth if the difference is
>> quite small or not even noticeable.
>>

> From my POV, scintilla is pretty slow. Especially on windows where
>scrolling is painfully slow, but also for opening the

This isn't strictly Scintilla's fault. It's rather because of the fact
that we use the GTK port of Scintilla on Windows while Scintilla has
its own Windows port which runs way faster. But using it isn't that
easy as everything around is still GTK. But this is something we maybe
could improve.

>auto-completition list (although I remember it was way faster some
>month ago, so it could be my system(s)). I don't know whether

The question is whether really the plain displaying(i.e. drawing it on
the screen) of the list is slow or whether generating the contents of
the list is slow. The drawing is Scintilla's part, filling values into
the list is Geany's part which could also be slow.