[Geany-devel] Changing from scintilla to gtksourceview or scintilla over gtksourceview

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Dec 29 18:55:30 UTC 2009

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 23:52:21 +0300, Денис wrote:

>This is not an urgent thought. Just look to the future. I'm just
>saying that it makes sense to start changing, because it will end at a
>time, when the right version of gtksourceview already be stable. As i
>think.

I still don't see the point why we should change. So far, the only
argument I found is that GtkSourceView slowly gets the features we
already use in Scintilla. Maybe it has the one or the other little
other feature Scintilla doesn't have but still, except for the other
name (see below), I didn't see any real reason for changing.
Scintilla is not dead nor is it in any way not native to GTK.

An interesting question could be which engine is faster but this is
probably hard to test and maybe not even worth if the difference is
quite small or not even noticeable.

>>This is not true.
>I mean that scintilla isn't part of "gtk" project, isn't close child.

GtkSourceView isn't part of the GTK project as well, it only has GTK in
its name which is by no means any reason to use it, at least not to
prefer it over Scintilla.

>At this moment, i stopped works on "pygeany"(yeah, i gave a name to

Sad to hear.

>If it failed, i will resume works on pygeany.

I hope you will fail, just to get you back to Geany.
(Don't take it too serious :D.)