[Geany-devel] [Geany Plugins] naming issues and consistence

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Dec 13 11:41:23 UTC 2009

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:56:24 +0100, Frank wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 08:06:25 +0100
>Dominic Hopf <dmaphy at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> An example which explains this a bit better is the plugin I maintain:
>> GeanyGDB. If a user installed this, it showed up as "Debugger". What
>> a user actually would have expected is, that a new item showed up as
>> "GeanyGDB". I fixed this with SVN revision 1075 of Geany-Plugins and
>> I think there finally is no "debug" or "debugger" anymore which could
>> confuse anyone. It all is either "geanygdb" (Unix name) or
>> "GeanyGDB" (the actual plugin name) and I will continue this naming
>> in that way.
>
>I suggest to use small letters in begin of plugin name as geany is
>just a prefix. So s/GeanyGDB/geanyGDB.

"Geany" in the plugin names is part of the name and should be properly
capitalised as it's also done with the other plugins. I think it would
be even more inconsistent and confusing if some plugins would be
captilised properly (like the internal and some other plugins) and your
plugins would break this rule. This would make Dominic's efforts
useless.