[Geany-devel] [Geany Plugins] naming issues and consistence

Dominic Hopf dmaphy at xxxxx
Sun Dec 13 07:06:25 UTC 2009

Hi everyone :)
I've noticed there is some confusion and inconsistency in the Plugin
Manager dialogue of Geany, because some Plugins show up with another
name in the plugin manager as the plugins name actually is. This
confuses especially new users.

An example which explains this a bit better is the plugin I maintain:
GeanyGDB. If a user installed this, it showed up as "Debugger". What a
user actually would have expected is, that a new item showed up as
"GeanyGDB". I fixed this with SVN revision 1075 of Geany-Plugins and I
think there finally is no "debug" or "debugger" anymore which could
confuse anyone. It all is either "geanygdb" (Unix name) or
"GeanyGDB" (the actual plugin name) and I will continue this naming in
that way.

Since this is not the only plugin where I noticed this issue I would
like to encourage you to have a look at the plugin you maintain and
check if there maybe are similar naming and consistence issues - and if
you find some, to fix them.

I'm planning to do some effort to the websites concerning plugins for
Geany, which are [1] and [2]. They both are very outdated at the present
and need an update. My idea is to dedicate [1] to list the plugins
shipped with Geany and just mention third party plugins (including the
Geany Plugins project) there, but just link to [2] where any third party
plugin would be listed. Ideas and suggestions are welcome. I will update
you as soon as this work is finished.

[1] http://www.geany.org/Support/Plugins
[2] plugins.geany.org

Regards,
Dominic

--
Dominic Hopf <dmaphy at gmail.com>

http://dominichopf.de/

Key Fingerprint:
A7DF C4FC 07AE 4DDC 5CA0 BD93 AAB0 6019 CA7D 868D