[Geany-devel] [Bug] When saving a modified file, a new empty line is added

Maxime Pacary mpacary at xxxxx
Tue Dec 1 15:04:08 UTC 2009

Thanks for your answers.

I totally agree that a popup dialog for that would be ugly and annoying.
However, I think that this issue is quite important, since enabling that
feature by default can be strongly distrurbing for PHP development.

After some thinking, I would suggest that :

  - the feature "*new line at end of file*" would be a drop-down list
instead of a checkbox, with options "*according to file type*"
(default), "*always*", "*never*"

  - when option "*according to file type*" is selected :
      - when (for example) a C/C++ file is saved, a new empty line is
automatically added if necessary
      - when a PHP (or Javascript, CSS, HTML, SQL, XML, YML...) file is
saved, no new empty line is added

  - details about file types requiring a "final empty line" or not,
would be available in the manual.

This way, Geany's default behavior would be convenient for all
programming languages (but user can "force" the behavior to whatever he
prefers), and the user wouldn't be annoyed by any warning message.

Maxime