[Geany-devel] intltool usage question

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sat Aug 29 17:10:07 UTC 2009

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 21:40:01 +1000, Lex wrote:

>But you also have the overhead of every time the filetype file is
>loaded, filetypes.c having to check for labels in the string list and

filetype definition files are only loaded once per session. If not,
that's a bug. Checking for translatable strings is quite fast, we won't
do it ourselves but using gettext() which uses hashed versions of the
strings for faster comparison, AFAIK. This is what is done for every
single user visible string in the GUI already.

>load the translation but only for the system filetypes files since we
>don't want this behavior on filetypes users have modified.  And of
>course the system config file labels are now hard coded into the
>program so system administrators can't configure using the
>configuration files for site changes...

No, the labels are not hardcoded, they are still in the filetype
definitions. But they are *also* in the code, just as a lazy workaround
to get them picked up by intltool. So, packagers or sysadmins or
whoever can still modify the labels in the config files, of course with
loosing the translation but this happens in either way.

>If no solution that uses the current translation process can be found
>then  maybe the best idea is just to ask users who want translated
>labels to submit a patch or at least the translation and type it
>manually into the filetype file, after all its only likely to be one
>or two words to be translated like this:

I said this in the very beginning of this discussion, IIRC. It's maybe
not that important at all to have these few labels translated, at least
not if it causes so much trouble and efforts. I guess it won't
disturb most users that much and the others can easily change the
labels in the build settings dialog, right?

>FT_00_LB=Beer!!
>FT_00_LB[de]=Bier!!
>
>Now thats the sort of menu item I'd like to see, and nearly the limit
>of my German :-D

Haha, quite important though. Being able to order a beer is always a
good thing :).