[Geany-devel] Large SVN commits - Re: ANN: Configurable Build Menu Alpha in SVN

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon Aug 24 15:39:14 UTC 2009

Sorry for the late reply.

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 18:20:09 +0200
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> >In case of the build-system branch, using a local git repository
> >doesn't make sense. The idea of the branch is to constantly work on
> >this code with all the advantages of a source code management system
> >like SVN (even though some of you don't like it) and especially having
> >the history. When using a local git repo and then commit one big chunk
> >of changes, the whole idea of the branch is destroyed.
>
> I forgot to mention, committing such big chunks makes it also way
> more complicate to review the changes which we need to do at some
> point. And reviewing a super big maybe 100K or more patch is awful. So,
> small and logical structured commits would help us all most, I think.

I fully agree on this. A local [Git] repository is sometimes fine for a
series of commits which are all partial work in progress, but it's best
to commit to the main SVN repo as soon as there's enough for a commit
that others might want to see. (This may mean changing your workflow to
allow regular commits).

Reviewing more than one functional change at once is much more
difficult.

Regards,
Nick