[Geany-devel] Killing Builds

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Aug 18 18:14:00 UTC 2009

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 11:39:18 +1000, Lex wrote:

>Hi All,

Same to you :).

>As requested by Enrico, a new thread for discussion of issues around
>killing builds and UI changes.

Thanks.

>>Yes, as you say it, I'm thinking about. We actually could add a
>>separate Stop button for the toolbar and the Build menu, That would
>>obsolete a lot of not so nice code in build.c which deals with the
>>double action of the button. And since the toolbar is pretty easy to
>>configure these days, that probably would not be a big deal UI-wise.
>>Though I don't have a strong opinion on that. Just share your thoughts
>>about this, maybe in a separate new thread.
>
>The switching execute menu items is a lot cleaner in the build-system
>version. At leasts IMHO, shouldn't comment on own code should I.;-)

Hehe.
Ok, I'm not sure right now what way is better apart from the
quality of the code :).
Maybe I or someone else get some more ideas about this after we finally
merged the branch into trunk.

>My real concern is that Geany should not have a built-in kill build
>because of the difficulties associated with killing every child
>spawned from the build and the risk of the build directories being

I fully and completely agree.
If necessary this could most probably be done in a plugin or with an
external script which is called from within Geany as just another build
command or whatever.

>left in a strange state when the build is killed.  This is especially
>true now that the build sysytem can run anything in any directory.
>That took up lots of the discussion on the previous thread and I won't
>repeat it here.
>
>Thats why I encouraged Thomas to write an external script that users
>can configure into Geany and modify if needed.  If we coded something
>into Geany then users can't fix it to solve problems they run into.
>This also helps with portability, users can create and contribute
>scripts for many different systems where finding child processes
>differ or where the particular scripting language doesn't exist.
>
>Of course having a specific menu item and toolbar which can be
>configured to run that script is still ok, I wouldn't have a problem
>with it in the build menu, it would essentially be an execute menu

Not sure whether that is really necessary.
If I'm not totally wrong, you can also call a fancy 'I kill everything
which I want to kill' script as an usual build command, if so, I don't
see a need for an extra separate stop action button/menu item.
Note that this is different from the Execute/Stop button as described
above.