[Geany-devel] Resetting menu accels - Re: Super modifier in keybindings - Re: Strange Geany behavior

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Aug 18 18:04:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:39:44 +1000, Lex wrote:

>>>Totally agree with all you said.
>>>
>>>Maybe submenus of the popup for the inserts and the finds could help
>>>shrink it.
>>
>> Uhhh, dangerous topic :).
>> We already had the find items in a submenu but I voted against it as
>> at least I personally use them a lot from the popup menu and hiding
>> them in a submenu reduces usuability. This might be a pretty personal
>> rationale but I really would like to keep these items as they are :).
>> Though I would agree about the insert items. I also thought about
>> moving them into a plugin (at least 'insert date' and 'insert
>> include...') especially because 'insert include' is very specific to
>> C/C++ and not of any use for other filetypes. But I still didn't come
>> around to actually do it.
>>
>> Maybe we could group the 'insert date', 'insert include...' items
>> into a new submenu, so we would save one toplevel menu item and then
>> we could also put various more menu items into this new submenu for
>> keybindings (i.e. those of your list).
>>

>So I'm happy for you to do whatever you think is ok, including not

Is this also true in general?
I could give you a big, very big list of things you could do for
me :).

>putting anything in the popup and instead putting everything in the
>main edit menu using an insert submenu for the insert items to make
>space for one or two submenus   That would not change the size of
>level one of the edit menu.

Yeah, sounds good.
I think it's best to group the currently two insert items into a new
submenu and add to the new submenu also ther actions of your list and
these changes should be done in both menus, the Edit main menu and the
popup menu to keep them somewhat in sync (they are not and they were
never nor were they intended to be in sync but at least the 'insert'
items are).
The bad thing is doing these changes with Glade is annoying, a lot of
clicking and such and more heavily, you need to do it all twice for
both menus. So if you like to do it, remove the existing submenus from
Glade, add the new submenu in Glade and then add the rest of the new
menu items in plain C code :). This way you can put the whole code to
generate the menu items into a for loop running from 0 to 1 and so save
a lot of work, code and most important time.
If you don't like to do it, just ignore this, then I will add this to
my personal todo list.

>PS the GTK bug that is the original topic of this thread is fixed.

Cool.