[Geany-devel] Resetting menu accels - Re: Super modifier in keybindings - Re: Strange Geany behavior

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Aug 18 00:39:44 UTC 2009

2009/8/18 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:38:22 +1000, Lex wrote:

>>> No need to apologise. Maybe I just didn't try hard enough, anyway,
>>> now it's pretty clear (and obvious :).

>>> Ok. But to be honest I really don't want to add *anything* more to
>>> the right click popup menu. It's already very big. When considering
>>> the Gnome HIG, it's way too big. But I think in our case that's ok
>>> as long as we don't fill the menu even more.
>>>
>>> For the Edit menu in the file menu, I think we could add a new
>>> submenu like "More Actions" or something which then lists the
>>> actions you mentioned maybe in more sub menus sorted by categories
>>> (as you did above). This way we would not bloat the existing menus
>>> really and still gain the benefit of having menu items for most
>>> keybindings.
>>>
>>> Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it, my only worries are not to bloat
>>> the menus too much.
>>>

>>Totally agree with all you said.
>>
>>Maybe submenus of the popup for the inserts and the finds could help
>>shrink it.
>
> Uhhh, dangerous topic :).
> We already had the find items in a submenu but I voted against it as at
> least I personally use them a lot from the popup menu and hiding them
> in a submenu reduces usuability. This might be a pretty personal
> rationale but I really would like to keep these items as they are :).
> Though I would agree about the insert items. I also thought about
> moving them into a plugin (at least 'insert date' and 'insert
> include...') especially because 'insert include' is very specific to
> C/C++ and not of any use for other filetypes. But I still didn't come
> around to actually do it.
>
> Maybe we could group the 'insert date', 'insert include...' items into
> a new submenu, so we would save one toplevel menu item and then we
> could also put various more menu items into this new submenu for
> keybindings (i.e. those of your list).
> Nick?
>

>>To be honest I don't use the popup much, I use keybindings mostly so I
>>am probably not best qualified to say whats common use and whats not &
>>can go to a submenu.
>
> Who is qualified to say this at all? Every user has different use cases
> of the GUI, the keybindings and everything else. It's always hard to
> make such decisions.

Perhaps I could have added, I don't have strong feelings about the popup.

So I'm happy for you to do whatever you think is ok, including not
putting anything in the popup and instead putting everything in the
main edit menu using an insert submenu for the insert items to make
space for one or two submenus   That would not change the size of
level one of the edit menu.

PS the GTK bug that is the original topic of this thread is fixed.