[Geany-devel] sciwrappers.h not compilable ?

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Aug 16 20:32:51 UTC 2009

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 22:08:00 +0200, Colomban wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Enrico Tröger wrote:
>> About your initial question abut including sciwrappers.h: the order
>> of header includes is important, I think I already told you that in
>> another thread. First include geany.h, then other Geany includes
>> like document.c or sciwrappers.h, then include pluginmacros.h and
>> geanyfunctions.h. You can't include headers randomly. See other
>> plugins how they do it.
>>
>> All stuff Colomban explained with PLAT_GTK and ScintillaObject
>> declaration is not true as long as you include geany.h. That does
>> all the necessary stuff for you. Check this file to get a clue.
>Just for my self curiousity about including order: why does it is
>required?
>I'm a partisan of the "include all you need, but no more" style,
>meaning that if I use a symbol, I have to include what defines it.
>e.g. for sciwrappers.h, I would include glib.h as it uses GLib types
>and define or include something that defines PLAT_GTK. I don't see any

You want to define things in your code again just to not include a
header file?
Single header includes are generally more easy and pretty common.
E.g. GTK and GLib do require them since some time.
In case of Geany, the overhead which raises by including a bit more
than strictly necessary is really really small compared what overhead
GTK brings in and so I really don't see any real reason. At least, IMO,
the advantages for maintainers and plugin authors are much bigger.

>reason why not doing this, and I think it is better for each code part
>to be self-sufficient.
>Then the question: why it is done this way?

Because it's way easier to use and less error-prone, see the OP's
mail why we discuss it about in this thread...