[Geany-devel] Resetting menu accels - Re: Super modifier in keybindings - Re: Strange Geany behavior

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Aug 12 14:15:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 21:48:08 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> But this might make the whole keybinding code much simpler :-)
> >
> > Not sure, there are keybindings that don't have a menu item associated
> > with it.
>
> It just needs to be some widget that the signal can be delivered to.
>
> I hope that you havn't violated the "good GUI guidelines" by having
> functionality that is only available via keybindings and not by menu
> ;-)

We have. Probably we could/should add some matching menu items, and IIUC
use the relevant widget for the focus commands. There are some special
cases though where some keybindings take precedence, so I don't think we
can simplify the code that much.

> >> Or change the whole thing to use gtk_accel_map that does its own
> >> work and using nested loops as well.  Decisions, decisions ...
> >
> > I haven't looked at gtk_accel_map, perhaps it's easier to keep the
> > existing code. Anyway at some point we can fix this.
>
> I'm not suggesting rushing into this, IMHO gtk_accel_map is quite
> poorly documented & I am not sure I totally understand about
> accelerator paths but it seems the future direction.

Are there any advantages in doing this?

> Leaving it as is only has the downside of some overhead although the

Not sure the overhead is all that significant.

> menu accelerator labels are not being updated until Geany is restarted
> which could be confusing.

At the least, we could use gtk_widget_remove_accelerator ;-)

Regards,
Nick