[Geany-devel] Paragraph formatting

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Apr 2 12:07:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:04:13 -0700
Conrad Steenberg <conrad.steenberg at caltech.edu> wrote:

> Thanks Frank.
>
> What would you say is the difficulty level of implementing such a
> feature?

A command wouldn't be hard. But I don't think it is necessary
as (as Frank mentioned) the 'Format->Send selection to' command can be
used, I use it with the fmt program.

But, the current Line Breaking mode IMO could be extended to break
lines in the current paragraph as you type, like how line wrapping
works but with hard newlines.

> On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 18:53 +0100, Frank Lanitz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:57:06 -0700
> > Conrad Steenberg <conrad.steenberg at caltech.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone know of a way to do "paragraph formatting" in Geany? I.e.
> > > break long lines in a selected block to be no more than a certain
> > > length?
> >
> > There is a hard line break function you can find under Document -> Line
> > breaking as well as a shortcut for toggling this option. Unfortunately
> > a smart line breaking function as maybe known from emacs with Mq
> > is currently not available but was already discussed on mailing list.
> > This can be done by external tool and the send selection to feature of
> > Geany.

Regards,
Nick