[Geany-devel] Custom Command (Re: build-system branch geany.txt changes)

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Oct 16 02:21:38 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 12:33 AM, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:18:46 +0100, Nick Treleaven
> <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:50:15 +0200
> >Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Lex wants to implement general build commands which can be completely
> >> configured by the user, why then add a command which pops up a dialog
> >> box?
> >> For convenience for something like one time shots?
> >
> >Sometimes the user wants to run unusual commands - e.g. sometimes I run
> >"make -C .." with the 'Make Custom Target'. Or "make -k".
> >
> >When/if we implement unlimited configurable commands, I could add a
> >menu item (if I thought it was worth it), but it would even then still
> >be useful to be able to run different commands occasionally.
>
> Ah ok. Slowly I get the point and I should accept that not everyone
> does such things in a console like me :).

Maybe I'm getting old and lazy ;), but I like Geany to parse the error
messages
from the build and  take me to the line in the source file, so I want to run
all builds
from Geany.  Thats why I'm proposing the changes.

It is very difficult to design a UI in text like this, I'll produce a
prototype and we can see
how it looks and works.  We can always change strings later.

Regards
Lex