[Geany-devel] build-system branch geany.txt changes

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Oct 15 12:30:35 UTC 2008

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 13:07:19 +0100, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 17:47:31 +1100
>"Lex Trotman" <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > 1. 'Make Commands' is mentioned, perhaps this should be renamed
>> > 'Global Commands', as these may well be nothing to do with 'make'.
>>

>> I agree it should be changed from 'Make'  but I had trouble getting a
>> term I was happy with.
>> This was a general issue throughout the document, what group term to
>> use for the builder commands?
>> Builder itself I thought was too close to the 'build' command which
>> doesn't use the builder ;-)
>> "Global" I felt could be taken as a reference to storing them
>> globally and what is being implemented
>> is actually storing them in the Project file or user prefs.  Unless
>> the build command is changed
>> allowing the use of builder as the group name for the make commands?
>
>Hmm, personally I thought global could just mean for all documents.
>Maybe if a project is open, change the group name to 'Project
>Commands'.
>
>What does everyone else think?

I'm not sure. IMO 'Build commands' would be fine or also 'Global
commands', But as we all know, I'm not a native English speaker :).

>> > 5.
>> > +Remember that menu item two (default the 'Make Custom Target'
>> > item) +will pop up a dialog to ask for additional targets/options
>> > when invoked +allowing you to add to the command you define here.
>> >
>> > Should this just be the 'Make Custom Target' item? (not menu item
>> > two)
>> >

>> Well the section was talking about changing the menu labels and
>> commands so it
>> might not say "Make Custom Target", hence my hedging it by putting it
>> in brackets and
>> noting it as default.  Menu item two is somewhat ugly maybe "the
>> second menu item" but
>> any better suggestions for referring to a menu item independently of
>> its label will be gratefully
>> received.
>
>Maybe the 'Make Custom Target' could be a more generic 'Custom command'
>but with a configurable starting string. The default label could still
>be 'Make Custom Target' but we could refer to it as the 'Custom
>command' item.

Not sure about this. A 'generic custom command' with a configurable
starting string? Sounds a bit long-winded. Why don't we just skip it?
I mean when we already have configurable commands we probably don't
need to keep another kind of configurable command.