[Geany-devel] About disabling GTK+/GLib deprecated symbols

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Oct 14 16:52:53 UTC 2008

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:08:10 +0200
Colomban Wendling <ban-ubuntu at club-internet.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Nick Treleaven a écrit :
> > That option is to disable deprecated elements in Geany's plugin API.
> >
> Why disable GTK+/GLib deprecated symbols when disabling Geany's ones?
> Anyway, an update of the configure help should be nice in this case,
> because the current message is "--disable-deprecated    Disable
> deprecated GTK functions". It's not that clear at all, is it?
> But I think it is nice to be able to disable GTK+/GLib deprecated
> symbols too :)

Oops, sorry I hadn't checked it ;-) Enrico - shouldn't they be separate?

> > But using deprecated functions isn't really a problem until GTK
> > 3.0, no?
> Yes, it's true. But I think there is nothing to loose to remove
> deprecated symbols; and having a clean code for now eases upgrading
> for the future, don't you think?

Yes I agree, just wanted to check.

> > gtk_widget_set_tooltip_text() was only added in GTK+ 2.12, we still
> > support 2.6 (see HACKING).
> >
> This is the reason why I've not proposed the full patch as a good fix.
> (offtopic: BTW, 2.6 compatibility is for Debian Sarge?)

Well, usually there's not much reason to raise the minimum
requirements. Maybe they could be raised, but not up to 2.12 IMO.

> > Maybe that function could be mimiced for GTK
> > < 2.12 with something like ui_widget_set_tooltip_text().
> >
> Hum, yes, it seems easy to write a function like this, but how to make
> Glade use it? An automatic replacement is not hard to set up (even
> though…), but can be a pain… a new step in UI updating. No?

Oh I hadn't thought about that ;-(

I could still apply the non-glade parts though.

Regards,
Nick