[Geany-devel] About disabling GTK+/GLib deprecated symbols

Colomban Wendling ban-ubuntu at xxxxx
Tue Oct 14 16:08:10 UTC 2008

Hi,

Nick Treleaven a écrit :
> That option is to disable deprecated elements in Geany's plugin API.

Why disable GTK+/GLib deprecated symbols when disabling Geany's ones?
Anyway, an update of the configure help should be nice in this case,
because the current message is "--disable-deprecated    Disable
deprecated GTK functions". It's not that clear at all, is it?
But I think it is nice to be able to disable GTK+/GLib deprecated
symbols too :)

> But using deprecated functions isn't really a problem until GTK 3.0, no?

Yes, it's true. But I think there is nothing to loose to remove
deprecated symbols; and having a clean code for now eases upgrading for
the future, don't you think?

> gtk_widget_set_tooltip_text() was only added in GTK+ 2.12, we still
> support 2.6 (see HACKING).

This is the reason why I've not proposed the full patch as a good fix.
(offtopic: BTW, 2.6 compatibility is for Debian Sarge?)
> Maybe that function could be mimiced for GTK
> < 2.12 with something like ui_widget_set_tooltip_text().

Hum, yes, it seems easy to write a function like this, but how to make
Glade use it? An automatic replacement is not hard to set up (even
though…), but can be a pain… a new step in UI updating. No?

Regards,
Colomban