[Geany-devel] build-system branch geany.txt changes

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Oct 11 06:47:31 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 4:24 AM, Nick Treleaven <
nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I've committed Lex Trotman's geany.txt changes in the build-system
> branch, slightly edited.
>
> https://geany.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/geany/branches/build-system
>
> I made some formatting changes:
> .. note:: syntax (space after ..)
> break lines - I used the 'Format->Send selection to command' with the
> fmt command.

Thanks

> On to the changes - in general I agree with them, but some points:
>
> 1. 'Make Commands' is mentioned, perhaps this should be renamed 'Global
> Commands', as these may well be nothing to do with 'make'.

I agree it should be changed from 'Make'  but I had trouble getting a term I
was happy with.
This was a general issue throughout the document, what group term to use for
the builder commands?
Builder itself I thought was too close to the 'build' command which doesn't
use the builder ;-)
"Global" I felt could be taken as a reference to storing them globally and
what is being implemented
is actually storing them in the Project file or user prefs.  Unless the
build command is changed
allowing the use of builder as the group name for the make commands?

Looking at the prototype dialog attached, it doesn't look like so much a
problem for the software,
just to avoid confusion in the manual.

> 2.
> +* From the user preferences if the user has make commands defined.
> +* From the global preferences/defaults.
>
> Not sure about this - currently we only have user prefs for geany.conf.
> Maybe global prefs too, but would it be confusing?

Ok, its user preferences or Defaults.

> 3. Do we need the table of default filetype build commands? If so, IMO
> it should be autogenerated and included/referenced from geany.txt
> rather than writing by hand.

I think it is useful to let the user know what the defaults are so they
don't need to go look.
But it probably should be in an appendix and referenced from here.
Autogenerating I like, you can see how far I got manually.

> 4. I think 'Project Make' should be configured from the Project
> Properties dialog. In this case the global Make command could be
> grayed out in the Configure Commands dialog.

 IMO its better UI practice to have all the build menu commands configured
from the one dialog box
activated from the build menu.
Attached is a quick mockup of the dialog,
Note that the label "Commands for filetype C" will change to the type of the
current file,
eg "Commands for filetype Python".
Note also that the label "Project Builder Commands" will be "Preferred
Builder Commands" if no project is open.

> 5.
> +Remember that menu item two (default the 'Make Custom Target' item)
> +will pop up a dialog to ask for additional targets/options when invoked
> +allowing you to add to the command you define here.
>
> Should this just be the 'Make Custom Target' item? (not menu item two)

Well the section was talking about changing the menu labels and commands so
it
might not say "Make Custom Target", hence my hedging it by putting it in
brackets and
noting it as default.  Menu item two is somewhat ugly maybe "the second menu
item" but
any better suggestions for referring to a menu item independently of its
label will be gratefully
received.