[Geany-devel] Python snippets

Colomban Wendling ban-ubuntu at xxxxx
Sat Nov 29 14:00:21 UTC 2008

Enrico Tröger a écrit :
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:15:47 +0100, Colomban Wendling
> <ban-ubuntu at club-internet.fr> wrote:
>
> Hey,
>

>> I use snippets now for a while with C, but I've recently written a
>> Python script and instinctively tried to complete simple statements
>> like if, else, etc, but it got C-like statements.
>> I think this is very annoying for everyone regular with C snippets
>> falling on a language with a non C-like syntax.
>>
>> I joined a little patch to add basis of Python snippets (if, else,
>> elif, while…) in data/snippets.conf, but I think there is probably
>> other languages needing this.
>>

> I'm not really sure whether we should add snippets for every filetype
> user reporting. This might lead to a big snippets files with all its
> disadvantages (longer loading time, harder to maintain, ...).
> OTOH it might be indeed useful to have some more defaults like those
> for Python. So I'll add them with the note that we try to keep the
> default snippets short.
>
> Regards,
> Enrico

Hi,

You're right and having predefined snippets for all those languages is
not what I would mean. The only thing I think annoying is to have a
wrong snippet completion for some languages. Perhaps limiting now global
snippets to only languages known to use it is a way; i.e by being able
to combine sections like [C,C++,Java] or so instead of [Default]. 'dunno
if is it possible/easy?
But OTOH, yes, I think snippets for Python are useful, and I think
Python is a language enough common to consider having a good support for
it. Thanks for committing my patch :)

Regards,
Colomban